80 % of couples who have regular sexual intercourse ( every two to three days) will get pregnant within a year. The majority of the remaining 20 % achieve pregnancy within two years of trying. It is estimated that one in seven couples has difficulty conceiving. To achieve pregnancy a couple must have intercourse around the time of ovulation. Eggs live for 12 – 24 hours and sperm can fertilize an egg for 12 – 48 hours after ejaculation so you don’t have to have intercourse at the exact moment of ovulation to get pregnant.

Women become less fertile as they get older and there is a decline in fertility after the age of 35.

The effect of age upon men’s fertility is less clear.